We love to live in this area because of the beautiful weather we enjoy for most of the year. But when the dog days of summer come around and the AC goes on, we start to dread seeing what the next utility bill will look like. Fortunately, there are lots of FREE ways to save energy and money year-round. Fairfield homes for sale and homes for rent in Fairfield can benefit greatly from these tips.
Here are several free or low-cost things you can do to save energy around your home:
- Wash clothes in cold water. Many laundry detergents are formulated to work well in cold water. And according to coldwatersaves.org about 90% of the energy your washing machine uses is for heating the water.
- Unplug appliances, power adapters and other electronics when not in use. Better yet, plug these items into power strips, allowing you to turn off multiple items at once. They continue to use electricity when not in use, and while they don't use very much individually, this "vampire" energy drain can add up to higher energy costs. Fairfield homes for sale and homes for rent in Fairfield should definitely be following this rule.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs. Just a few years ago, LEDs were still pretty expensive but have become much more affordable AND only use about one-tenth the amount of energy to provide the same amount of light as an incandescent while lasting 40 times longer on average.
- Keep the area around your AC clear from debris or obstructions. Your air conditioner works by removing hot air from the inside and exhausting it on the outside. To do this efficiently, the air flow around the AC needs to be unobstructed and the hot air needs to have somewhere to go, otherwise it has to work harder and use more energy to cool your home. Make sure to follow up on this whether you’re looking for Fairfield homes for sale or homes for rent in Fairfield.
- Change the AC air filter regularly. Your air conditioner circulates an enormous amount of air, and that air is filtered before it enters the system. The filter traps dust, allergens and other airborne particles, eventually reducing the air flow into the system. An easier-breathing AC doesn't have to work as hard. If you’re in one of the many homes for rent in Fairfield, ask your landlord to help you out.
- Add layers to the windows. Keeping the shades or curtains closed on a hot day is a good way to keep out the heat, but consider layering window covers for additional insulation on hot days. Just like your blankets hold in heat to keep you warm in bed, an additional window cover can help keep heat out.
- Weather strip doors and windows and fix air leaks. You wouldn't turn on the air conditioner and leave the doors and windows open, but if your doors and windows or other air leaks aren't properly sealed, that cool air and the cost to cool it —goes out the window, too. This is easy to do in both Fairfield homes for sale and homes for rent in Fairfield.
Taken individually, these tips can help you save a few dollars here or there on energy use, but taken together, you can save a significant amount on your monthly energy bill. What will you do with the money you save?
At Community Real Estate Services, we make sure to help you live as green of a life as possible with simple tips like these. Whether you’re looking for Fairfield homes for sale or homes for rent in Fairfield, we got your back.